Saturday, April 23, 2011

Welcome to the Philippines

Took an hour to clear immigration
I had forgotten how the heat, smell, noise, the sheer amount of people and traffic hits you when you step outside Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport but I was quickly reminded. After taking one hour to clear immigration, it didn't take long before a begger jumped onto the back of our moving jeep as we were leaving. Lots of yelling in Tagalog ensued,(sorry I can't translate) then he let go and ran over to my window and stuck his arm through to hang on as the jeep slowed down to take a turn but is still moving. I drew back to hit him but Lena grabbed my arm. After more yelling in Tagalog someone in our entourage (we were 12 deep in the jeep) passed forward some money. He yelled "salamat po" (thank you very much) and jumped off. Welcome to the Philippines.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...and he got the money? I should try that ;) The good with the bad. Have fun T!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yeah he got the money. All this took place over a minute or so, so he was persistent. Lena and I had a "discussion" about why she stopped me and I just let it go. When in Rome I guess... and it did end without violence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful! That is kinda funny though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why the hell was my producer chasing after your jeep? ;-)

    ReplyDelete